Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Where exactly does my money go?

As of 3:00 PM Sunday, Nov. 6, I am the next pastor of the Oaklandon Baptist Church of Indianapolis, IN. (I'll start in the end of January.)

I got the call. The vote was 100%, the retiring pastor said. People who'd never seen me before voted for me to be their pastor.

I thanked Pastor Smith and hung up the phone. I gave Kristy the news, and she responded with a joyful attempt at something resembling a fist pump.

I, on the other hand, just sat there. For an hour and a half, I let it soak in.

Several other emotions/thoughts managed to get in on the soaking, as well.

Time to put your money where your mouth has been.

After waiting seven months, I think I feel more relieved than anything else.

Wow...I'm a pastor now. It's not a dream. There's a place, and some people, and a building, and everything!


- - -

So I'm snooping around the Brand Autopsy blog, and I watch the video sample of the presentation that Brand Autopsy dude gets paid to give. And at the end, he says something that hits me like a ton of bricks.

"The only reason to take on a new product, or business, is to change the world. Nothing else is worth the effort."

And it reminded me of where the apostles were accused of turning the world upside down. And it made me really intense about something:

I can't measure success purely by having 50, or 100, or any other number in attendance. Not by addition or mulitiplication of programs, either.

I desire nothing less than to bring the Kingdom of God to Oaklandon, Indianapolis, and the world.

And now - God's giving me the chance.

1 Comments:

Blogger dlr said...

For the Kingdom!!!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home