Wednesday, May 11, 2005

A Few Disconnected Things, Except That They Happened To Me

I've had some trouble recovering restwise from our weekend in Missouri and subsequent travelling. So I'm posting some random stuff and preparing to collect my thoughts.

--- --- ---

Monday evening, I attended a Fingerstyle Guitar workshop at Guitar Center in Peoria. It was put on by Chris Proctor, who is one of the best at what he does. I do not know how to play guitar, but I enjoy listening to it very much, and I also wanted to add to my mental catalog of possibilities for music in the life of the church.

It was a very enjoyable experience. Mr. Proctor is a tall man, and when he plays his songs, his eyes are closed. The times when he was giving instruction and was playing a riff or something, he would have to work at keeping his eyes open. He seemed very approachable and genuinely concerned with helping guitar players in the audience improve. He seemed honest, with a wry sense of humor. He gave little glimpses into his creative process, which were very interesting. And being able to watch a master at that distance - I couldn't have been more than ten feet away from him - was just engrossing.

Most of his instruction went over my head, because I don't know any of that stuff, but it was still fascinating to be there. And his music is just incredible. If you get the chance to catch a concert or a workshop, I highly recommend it.

--- --- ---

Mother's Day was this past Sunday. I got Kristy a PlayStation 2. Am I awesome or what?

Seriously, don't be afraid to go outside the box to show someone that you appreciate them. Cards? Flowers? Chocolate? Please. The line at WalMart to buy those things is still winding down.

Put some thought into it. Or don't put some thought into it, and go off an impulse. Or something.

Gift cards are one of the worst things that ever happened to celebrations. No one thinks anymore. They're afraid of disappointing them, or something, so they get them the plastic equivalent of money. Which is useful, but not enriching at all.

Kristy spent a couple hours yesterday, she and Trey chasing an animated bandicoot around a fantasy world, Gracie and Derek cheering them on.

I'll take that over your plastic money any day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra said...

You could still go ahead and add the missing bit. You know, the part that the computer ate. It's still good stuff.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home